Installing Mandriva linux 2008 on a Lenovo N200
My experience of installing Mandriva linux 2008 on a Lenovo 3000 N200 notebook
(Using the live, single CD "One" edition of Mandriva, and using the "live install" option)
What worked "out of the box":
- Bootable system with a KDE desktop.
- Integrated webcam. Although it took me a while to realise it worked - use kopete or ekiga to see the picture.
- USB ports.
- Display at full resolution - and with lovely compiz fusion 3D effects.
- UPDATED 19/11/07 - Got video playback working under compiz. In a console start xine with "xine -V xshm". Then press Alt-S to get xine setup. Change "experience level" to "master of the known universe". Go to video tab and change video driver to xshm. Voila!
- UPDATED 19/11/07 - Got multimedia keys working by running drakkeyboard in a console and changing keyboard type to Compaq laptop
- Wired network interface.
- Wireless network interface.
- All drives - hard disk / DVD RW.
- KDE Battery monitor.
- Microphone. Although I had to change the capture settings under Kmix input tab.
What worked with a bit of tweaking:
- Speakers / sound system. I had to add "options snd_hda_intel model=lenovo" to /etc/modprobe.conf.
- Fingerprint reader. Using the software and driver library at AG-networking.com. I can read and store fingerprints, but nothing useful at this stage.
What isn't working yet:
- Integrated card reader. Although I haven't really persisted with it (got carried away really enjoying using the machine).
In summary, this is a lovely notebook running a lovely OS. Highly recommended!